A brief history higher education in Szombathely

•             Disapproving the working conditions of the Csurgó Institute for the training of Lower Primary School Teachers, the Ministry of Education considered the option to relocate the Institute to Nagykanizsa in 1911. Calling the attention of the general public’s to the plan, an author of the journal Vasvármegye (vol. 1911/83) put the rhetoric question: why not move the Institute from Csurgó to Szombathely?

 

 

•             In 1911 the Dominican Convent of Kőszeg, which operated a secondary level training institute in addition to other forms of training and education, decided to move its training institute to Szombathely.

 

 

•             Following the Treaty of Trianon, in 1921 the University Queen Elizabeth of Austria was to be relocated from the lost city of Bratislava to Szombathely, but the leaders of the town chose not to receive the University, which found a new home in Pécs.

 

 

•             In 1928 the newspaper Hír (issue 4th August) reported that an institute for the training of lower primary school teachers was to be established in Körmend as the councillors of Szombathely had misgivings about the costs to be incurred and chose not to bear the costs of maintaining a new institute.

 

 

•             In September 1959, the three-year Higher Training Institute for Lower Primary School Teachers commenced its work in Szombathely as the legal successor of the training institutions in Kőszeg and Pápa.

 

 

•             1962 saw the degree training in majors public education and library studies started in addition to the training of lower primary school teachers.

 

 

•             In 1964 the building of the practice school was opened.

 

 

•             In 1966 a dormitory was opened to provide accommodation for students.

 

 

•             In 1971 new teacher training programmes were added to the training range of the Institutions as the Szombathely Facility of the Teacher Training Institute of Pécs: Mathematics–Physical Education, Mathematics–Music and Mathematics–Russian.

 

 

•             In 1972 further majors were added –Visual Arts, Hungarian Language and Literature, and History–, and as a novelty the majors Public Education and Library Studies could be pursued in combination with teacher training programmes.

 

 

•             In 1974 the College became independent to operate as the Teacher Training College of Szombathely for years on end, and the new premises of the Bolyai János Practice Primary School were opened.

 

 

•             In 1982 another dormitory building was opened.

 

 

•             In 1984 the College chose to bear the name Berzsenyi Dániel Teacher Training College and in addition to arts majors, new degree programmes were started in natural sciences, housed by a new training building.

 

 

•             In 1990 the College was handed over the former building of the Socialist Party’s county and town group and the Departments of English, French, German and Italian as well as of Uralic Studies were established to add to the existing Arts Departments.

 

 

•             In 1991 the new Sports Centre was opened to house the Institute of Physical Education and Sports Sciences. EECALL (Central European Computer-Assisted Language Teaching Centre) commenced its operations and the Regional IT Centre was also opened.

 

 

•             In 1992 the institute system was introduced with seven institutes, and, courtesy partly of the Austrian Government, the regional Austrian Library was opened. The Regional University Federation of Western Hungary (NYERSZ) was founded to pave the way for integration. An eight-year secondary grammar school was added to the Bolyai János Practice Primary School.

 

 

•             In 1993 the College established the foundation printing house Savaria University Press, and the North-Transdanubian Regional Sub-Centre for Distance Learning was founded.

 

 

•             In 1994 the BDTF initiated the foundation of the Societas Scientarium Savariensis (Scientific Society of Szombathely). Co-funded by the British Council the Regional Information Centre and Library for Teachers of English.

 

 

•             In 1995 the London-based Thames Valley University accredited the Master’s level degree programme for training teachers of English and the SOROS office of the United States Information Service was opened.

 

 

•             In 1996 the College submitted its accreditation application for ten Master’s level degree programmes and the Jean Monnet courses were introduced.

 

 

•             1997 saw the accreditation of the College and its majors.

 

 

•             In 1998 the College added two Master’s level degree programmes to the training programmes on offer, including General and Applied as well as Finno-Ugric Linguistics. The European Documentation Centre and Specialised Library was also opened (EDC) in Building B.

 

 

•             In 1999 the College was granted the approval to launch its Bachelor’s level majors International Studies and Communication and Media Studies, and the Institute for Management and Technical Studies was established. The renovated building section of the European Documentation Centre at Berzsenyi Square in the town centre was opened on 16 September by His Exc. Michael Lake, Head of the EU Delegation to Hungary.

 

 

•             In accordance with the decision f the Hungarian Parliament, the College plays a regional role as of 1st January, 2000 under the name Berzsenyi Dániel College.

 

 

•             The change in its name is a clear indication of the change in the profile of the College as students could enrol for further non-teaching majors, including the major Economics. The renovation and extension of Building D started to make room for the Centre for European Studies, and construction works were underway to extend the Bolyai János Practice Primary and Secondary Grammar School.

 

 

•             In accordance with the applicable governmental decree, the College Faculties of Arts, Natural Sciences and Sports, Visual Arts and Music were established as of 1st January, 2002.

 

 

•             In line with the decision of the Hungarian Parliament Berzsenyi Dániel College joined the University of Western Hungary to establish a new, ten-faculty university as of 1 January, 2008.

 

 

 


Partnereink